The move to Top
Dragster is almost complete!
upgrades we had to make to "Project 4-Link"
are just about complete. The engine is done
and has returned from the dyno. The Jim Pulliam
chassis has received the helmet bars as needed
to re-certify, the transmission has been rebuilt
and received some stronger parts, and the tire
and wheel package has been changed to handle
the additional power. The throttle stop has
been removed for the first time in three seasons
and to not worry about hitting the 8.90 index
every run will be a nice change. Back to running
it flat-out and dial it to run that way.
The entire process has been pretty smooth and
I have a lot of people to thank for their help
and efforts to put our "Project 4-Link" into
Top Dragster. I couldn't have done it without
their assistance, advice and terrific components.
This month I am going to cover the decisions
surrounding the engine and the assembly of the
engine by Jay Roeder at Roeder Performance Machine.
I am also going to cover the details to watch
for and to check during assembly and finally
the actual dyno test of the 572" Mopar at Stealy
Machine in East Moline, IL. Time for all the
time and efforts to either show their stuff
We arrived at Jeff
Stealy's shop in East Moline, Ill. for the
dyno session. We found the shop very organized
and full of the best equipment available.
Seeing a couple of dozen race engines "in
the works" is always reassuring to me that
the shop is "race ready".
We hauled the engine over to Jeff Stealy's
dyno on a Friday morning and it was hooked up
and ready to go in about an hour. It is always
interesting hooking up my belt drive to someone
else's dyno. Aeroquip would be proud of the
trick work we did with some hoses, adapters,
reducers and wire ties. We started the test
session with the single alcohol King Demon we
ran the last two seasons in Super Comp. This
will let us see the gains in just the engine
package. It was on there for a warm-up and two
pulls. Last year that intake and carb made a
peak rating of 817 HP and 710 ft./lbs. of torque.
The best pull with the 32 additional cubic inches,
about 1/2 a point higher compression and a different
camshaft netted a best pull of 835 HP and torque
increased to best of 754 ft./lbs @ 5500 rpm.
A pretty substantial gain for having the exact
same cylinder heads on it with no changes but
new Ferrea valves.
Finding Top Dead
Center is the first step in any camshaft
installation as you have to start at the
right point to get it degreed in correctly.
Jay uses this "positive stop" method to
be sure he is at TDC.
Then we took about an hour off to remove the
alcohol King Demon and install the new Indy
tunnel ram and the matching King Demon TR 1090s.
After some interesting "design work" to get
the tunnel ram linkage setup, we made a pull
with timing set as it was with the alcohol (28
degrees). The results were outstanding and surprising
to everyone peeking through the dyno room window.
The first pull was 899.9 HP and just over 790
ft./lbs. of torque! I never dreamed it might
actually go over 900 HP. We made a back-up run
to make sure it was the same and it was. Then
we made a couple of small timing changes.